DOCTOR RALPH CUDWORTH (1617-1688)
'the most famous scholar amongst the vicars of Ashwell'
Dr Ralph Cudworth, the Regius Professor of Hebrew at Cambridge was appointed Master of Clare College (1645) and later Master of Christ's (1654) by the Parliamentary Government. He was subsequently presented to the Vicarage of Ashwell by the new Royalist Bishop of London, Dr Gilbert Sheldon in 1662.
He was probably the most famous scholar amongst those whose names appear as Vicar of Ashwell.
Much of his work remains in the British Museum today, written in his own hand. One of the founders of
'The Cambridge Platonists', his sermon preached in Westminster Abbey before the House of Commons in March 1647 is still in print.